Art Realm open call
The inaugural Art Realm biennial exhibition will take place across Hämeenlinna Art Museum’s two exhibition spaces, the Engel and the Lohrmann (Viipurintie 2, Hämeenlinna) from June to September 2024. We also welcome proposals that are located in the wider public realm including any accessible greenspace in Kanta-Häme.
The call for entries for this exhibition will launch on 31 March 2023 with a deadline for submissions on 31 May 2023.
Please complete application form at WEBRPOL by 31 May 2023.
We would encourage you to apply if you
- are a professional artist OR a group comprising at least one professional artist
- are interested in exploring and using “art power” and “future power”
- would like to contribute to the creation of the Art Realm
- self-identify as having links to Kanta-Häme, Päijät-Häme or Pirkanmaa
- are interested in contributing to the inaugural Art Realm biennial in Hämeenlinna and Kanta-Häme which will run from June to September 2024
We are looking for
- new or existing artworks relevant to the Art Realm concept
- a diverse range of artistic approaches and working practices
- creative and unexpected ideas relevant to the Art Realm concept encompassing both execution and setting (we also welcome proposals for large-scale works)
Advice for applicants
- please describe your personal connection to the Kanta-Häme, Päijät-Häme or Pirkanmaa region in your application: the information you provide will be considered as part of the selection process
- groups may include practitioners from other disciplines
- your proposed artwork can be located in any accessible location in Kanta-Häme; options you may wish to consider are Pinella Park, Varikonniemi Park and Hämeenlinna city centre
To apply, please
- complete our application form at WEBRPOL by 31 May 2023
- describe your idea and outline the presentation/installation requirements for your work
- explain how your proposal relates to the Art Realm concept
- ensure you include images or other supporting materials in your submission (max. 4 pages)
- submit a portfolio, including CVs for all participating artists (max. 10 pages)
- include an estimated production cost as part of your project plan. Hämeenlinna Art Museum will make a contribution to production costs where possible and with the particular requirements of each individual artwork in mind. The exact financial arrangements will be agreed with each participant separately once funding decisions have been finalised.
After the open call
- artists and artworks will be selected on the basis of the submissions received by a panel of curators comprising representatives from Hämeenlinna Art Museum, Tampere Art Museum and the Lahti Museum of Visual Arts Malva as well as external experts in June 2023.
- selected artists will be notified by the end of June 2023
- all artists selected for the biennial will receive a participation fee and a royalty in line with recommended practice